As relations between the United States and Cuba return to normal, the wet-foot/dry-foot immigration policy has come to an end.  With that, Cuban preferential immigration treatment has come to an end as well.  Any Cuban immigrants reaching dry land in the United States will now be returned to Cuba.  Even more alarming for thousands of convicted Cuban Americans felons living in this country, they may now face deportation back to Cuba.  In future, Cuban Citizens will have to follow traditional paths to immigrate to the United States which is filing paperwork with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.  Contact a Shupe Dhawan attorney today for assistance to bring your loved one to the United States.

This abrupt policy change is not the only immigration news making headlines.  Cuban Americans travelling to Cuba should proceed cautiously.  A warning on the United States embassy webpage in Havana states that the Cuban government does not recognize the U.S. nationality of U.S. Citizens who are Cuban born, or the children of Cuban parents.  Let that sink in, and think about what that statement actually means.  Children born in the United States to Cuban parents are not recognized as United States Citizens by the Cuban government.  The Cuban government treats these children are treated as if they are Cuban citizens.  One of the requirements of Cuban citizens is they must serve 14 to 24 months in the military when they turn 16.  That means, if your children return to Cuba they could have their United States passports confiscated and be drafted into the military.

If you have a family member who would like to immigrate to the United States please call a Shupe Dhawan immigration attorney immediately.  We can help you with all your immigration needs from obtaining a visa or a green card to starting a business or becoming a United States Citizen.  Our team of experienced attorneys have over 20 years of experience and take great pride in the quality litigation and transactional representation we deliver.  You place your trust in us and we make sure that we go the extra mile to get you the best possible result!  Make an appointment for your legal consultation today.

Our Experienced Attorneys Can Also Help You With:

  • Get a Visa or Green Card for Your Spouse, Fiancé(e), Children, Parents, or Siblings
  • Get Sponsored by a Family Member
  • Get a Visa or Green Card Through Employment
  • Get a Visa or Green Card to Start or Buy a Business

We are happy to answer any questions and provide legal assistance.  Contact us at 954-507-7220.

Make sure to visit our website at to learn more about the firm and partners!

You can also find us on FacebookLinkedIn, and Twitter, or and you can follow our blog.

Estate Planning, Wills & Trusts • Immigration • Probate & Guardianship • Real Estate Closings & Title

Call Now Button