Attorney Michelle Shupe-Abbas, Esq.
e’sMichelle N. Shupe-Abbas, Esq
Founding Partner – Ft Lauderdale Attorney
Contact: Click here to email Michelle
Highlights of Michelle’s legal career:
- Extensive litigation background and has conducted several hundred non-jury trials throughout the State of Florida.
- Practiced in and familiar with the courts in most counties within the State of Florida.
- Wrote and argued several successful appeals.
- Experienced in estate planning, probate administration and litigation, trust administration and litigation, and guardianship.
- Title Agent who has performed numerous real estate closings and issued title insurance in the State of Florida.
- Represented major banks, mortgage servicers, investors, and lenders in litigation and real estate default matters.
- Represented major insurance companies and servicers in contract disputes, products liability, sexual harassment, discrimination, premises liability, slip and fall, negligence, wrongful death and insurance defense.
Michelle’s education, experience, and knowledge have allowed her to become an outstanding Fort Lauderdale attorney, capable of handling a wide variety of legal issues.
Michelle is the firm’s managing partner at Shupe Dhawan and leads the firm’s estate planning, probate, and real estate practice groups. She obtained a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of South Carolina, Juris Doctor, cum laude, from St. Thomas University School of Law, and a Master of Laws degree in Taxation from New York University School of Law.
Beginning her legal career as a litigator in 2001, Michelle represented major insurance companies and servicers in a wide variety of issues such as contract disputes, products liability, sexual harassment, discrimination, premises liability, slip and fall, negligence, wrongful death and insurance defense. Thereafter, she operated her own law firm and worked with several other law firms as “of counsel” assisting with matters related to estate and gift tax planning, probate administration (summary and ancillary), trust administration, guardianship, tax controversy, family, corporate and general litigation, and real estate.
In 2010, Michelle was asked to join a law firm in need of attorneys with a strong legal background and that were capable of hiring, building, and managing a large team of lawyers and legal assistants. Relying on her background in multi-unit restaurant management, she accepted the challenge and was directly responsible for over 25,000 cases, managing a large team of attorneys and support staff. Working in a volume atmosphere, Michelle obtained significant legal experience which most attorneys take a lifetime to obtain.
Michelle joined forces with Neil Dhawan in 2013 and together they founded the law firm of Shupe Dhawan. She now focuses her practice on Estate Planning, Wills & Trusts, Probate Administration and Litigation, and Trust Administration and Litigation. She is a seasoned attorney, with significant legal experience in and out of the courtroom.
- APPELLANT -Nat’l City Bank v. White, 4D12-469 (Fla. 4th DCA 2013)
- Daily Business Review Article, May 2, 2013
- Sun-Sentinel Article, May 2, 2013
- APPELLEE – Brzobohaty v. U.S. Bank N.A., 100 So.3d 686 (Fla. 2d DCA 2012)
- APPELLEE – Mayo v. Capital Assurance, 845 So.2d 275 (Fla. 3d DCA 2003).
- B.S., University of South Carolina (1992)
- J.D. cum laude, St. Thomas University School of Law (2001)
- Master of Laws in Taxation, New York University School of Law (2002)
- Florida Bar (2001)
- Florida Real Estate Sales Associate (2015)
- Notary Public, State of Florida
- Title Agent for Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
- United States District Court, Northern District of Florida (2002)
- United States District Court, Middle District of Florida (2002)
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida (2002)
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit (2003)
- Academy of Florida Elder Law Attorneys (2017 – present)
- American Bar Association (Member 2013 – present)
- BNI Leaders (Business Network International) Leadership Team
- Broward County Bar Association, Membership Committee Member (2014 – present)
- Broward County Estate Planning Council (2018 – present)
- Keiser University, Legal Studies Program, Advisory Board Member (2010 – present)
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Member (2017 – 2018)
- National Association of Professional Women (2013 – 2014)
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, International, Member 1998-current, past Justice (President) (2000-2001) and Vice Justice (Vice President) (1999-2000) of Mentschikoff Chapter
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of the Florida Bar, Member
- Real Property Section of the Broward County Bar Association, Member (2016 – present)
- Wills, Trusts & Estates Section of the Broward County Bar Association, Member (2016 – present)
- Habitat for Humanity
- Keiser University Legal Studies Program, Advisory Board Member (2011 – present)
- Relay for Life, Team Leader
- Walk Now for Autism Speaks, Team Leader
- Yes Indeed, non-profit organization, Member, Board of Directors (2012 – 2015)
- Judicial Edition – AV Preeminent Highest Rated Lawyers, 2020
- Named one of South Florida Legal Guide’s Top Lawyers in South Florida, 2020
- America’s Most Honored Lawyers Top 1%, The American Registry, 2020
- Giver’s Gain Award, BNI Leaders Chapter, 2019
- 10 Best Attorneys, American Institute of Legal Counsel, 2018
- America’s Most Honored Professionals, The American Registry, 2018
- AV Preeminent Highest Rated Lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell, 2018
- Outstanding Service Award, Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, Mentischikoff Chapter, 2001
- Why Baby Boomers Need Estate Planning, Talk of the Town Radio Show, IHeartRadio, 2018
- Probate for Investors, South Florida Mastery, 2018
- Estate Planning Basics, Tax, Retirement & Estate Planning for Realtors, 2017
- Estate Planning Basics, Mass Mutual Insurance Company, Estate Planning for Financial Planners, 2016
- Networking and Business Development, Broward County Bar Association, Mentor/Mentee, 2016