Attorney Michelle N. Shupe-Abbas, Esq
Founding Partner – Ft Lauderdale Attorney
Contact: Click here to email Michelle
An active member of the student community, Michelle was appointed a Senior Articles Editor for the St. Thomas Law Review, was honored in Who’s Who Among American Law Students, was elected Vice Justice (vice president) and subsequently Justice (president) of the Mentschikoff Chapter of Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, and was a member of the Editorial Board and a staff writer for the law school newspaper. Due to her scholarship, she received awards for the highest grades in several classes and was asked to be a research assistant, teaching assistant, and tutor for the law school. She obtained her law degree and graduated cum laude. Furthering her education, Michelle attended New York University School of Law and obtained a Master of Laws degree in Taxation. When she graduated from law school, she decided to remain in South Florida as she just couldn’t bear to leave the sunshine.
Beginning her legal career as a litigator, Michelle represented major insurance companies and servicers in a wide variety of issues, such as contract disputes, products liability, sexual harassment, discrimination, premises liability,
When the foreclosure crisis hit South Florida, Michelle was contacted by a former colleague and asked to join a law firm in need of attorneys with a strong legal background and that were capable of hiring, building, and managing a large team of lawyers and legal assistants. She decided to accept the challenge and began working in the real estate default legal industry building a team which handled several thousand files successfully. Working in a volume atmosphere, Michelle obtained significant legal experience which most attorneys in other practice areas take a lifetime to obtain. When that firm closed, Michelle went to another law firm which specialized in real estate default and was a litigation attorney. It was there she met attorney Neil Dhawan, who shortly thereafter became her law partner and Shupe Dhawan was formed in 2013.
Michelle is a seasoned Ft Lauderdale attorney, with significant legal experience and has handled a wide variety of litigation and transactional matters for the firm. She can often be found in court zealously arguing on behalf of the firm’s clients.
Highlights of Michelle’s legal career
- Conducted several hundred non-jury trials throughout the State of Florida.
- Practiced in and familiar with the courts in most counties within the State of Florida.
- Experienced in estate and gift tax planning, probate administration (summary and ancillary), trust administration, guardianship, tax controversy, corporate
- Title Agent who has performed numerous real estate closings and issued title insurance.
- Wrote and argued several successful appeals.
- Represented major banks, mortgage servicers, investors, and lenders in litigation and real estate default matters.
- Represented major insurance companies and servicers in contract disputes, products liability, sexual harassment, discrimination, premises liability, slip and fall, negligence, wrongful death and insurance defense.
- Capable of handling a wide variety of litigation and transactional issues.
- APPELLANT – Nat’l City Bank v. White, 4D12-469 (Fla. 4th DCA 2013)
- APPELLEE – Brzobohaty v. U.S. Bank N.A., 100 So.3d 686 (Fla. 2d DCA 2012)
- APPELLEE – Mayo v. Capital Assurance, 845 So.2d 275 (Fla. 3d DCA 2003)
- B.S., University of South Carolina (1992)
- J.D. cum laude, St. Thomas University School of Law (2001)
- Master of Laws in Taxation, New York University School of Law (2002)
- Florida Bar (2001)
- Florida Real Estate Sale Associate (2015)
- Notary Public
- Title Agent for Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
- United States District Court, Northern District of Florida (2002)
- United States District Court, Middle District of Florida (2002)
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida (2002)
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit (2003)
- Academy of Florida Elder Law Attorneys (2017 – present)
- American Bar Association, Member (2013 – present)
- BNI Leaders, Challenges and Ethics Coordinator (2016 – present)
- Broward County Bar Association (2014 to present)
- Broward County Bar Association Membership Committee Member & Corporate Counsel Committee Member (2014-2015)
- Business Law Section of the Florida Bar, Member
- Elder Law Section of the Florida Bar, Member
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Member (2017 – present)
- National Association of Professional Women, Member (2013 – present)
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, International, Member (2001 – present); Mentschikoff Chapter Justice 2000-2001, Vice Justice 1999-2000
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of the Florida Bar, Member
- Real Property Section of the Broward County Bar Association, Member (2016 – present)
- Wills, Trusts & Estates Section of the Broward County Bar Association (2016 – present)
- Habitat for Humanity
- Keiser University Legal Studies Program, Advisory Board Member (2011 – Present)
- Relay for Life
- Walk Now for Autism Speaks, Team Leader
- Yes Indeed, non-profit organization, Member, Board of Directors (2012 – Present)