Fort Lauderdale Immigration Attorney Neil Dhawan, Esq
Neil Dhawan, Esq
Founding Partner – Ft Lauderdale Attorney
Neil focuses his practice on immigration, insurance, and real estate litigation throughout Florida and the United States. Originally from Canada, Neil had a dream to immigrate to the United States like many of his clients. Having immigrated himself, Neil understands not only how to navigate the United States immigration system, but also understands the challenges faced by his clients seeking to integrate into the United States.
The practice of law happens to be Neil’s second professional career. Neil was born and raised in Toronto, Canada, and comes from a family of entrepreneurs. Neil’s hobby and love for computers became his educational focus and Neil combined his love for technology and business into a career. Neil excelled in his education by obtaining a Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems, magna cum laude, a diploma in Computer Programming, and by earning highly coveted certifications from Microsoft as a Systems Engineer and Certified Professional. Neil’s unique skills propelled him quickly up the corporate ladder while working at companies such as Fidelity Investments, Siemens, and UPS Supply Chain Solutions.
After achieving success and receiving multiple awards and accolades in the workforce, Neil felt it was time to pursue another love—The Law—and relocated to Florida to begin his pursuit of a law degree. Neil was exposed to all areas of the law and legal system through educational and professional work, but was immediately fascinated with immigration and litigation and tailored his curriculum to help develop his skills while attending Florida Coastal School of Law. He completed his legal education as a visiting student at the University of Miami and is currently licensed in Florida and Illinois. Neil immediately began his legal career as a litigator in South Florida working in consumer collections. Neil took on more responsibility by expanding his practice areas to include consumer and commercial collections and began honing his litigation skills. Thanks to his mentors, Neil quickly found himself excelling and receiving glowing praises from his clients, the partners at the firm, and his mentors.
After closely watching legal trends, Neil utilized his litigation skills and branched out into Litigation. He quickly gained a reputation as a successful trial attorney and was competently handling highly complex trials. An unexpected opportunity then presented itself for Neil, who was offered a position to handle all the litigated matters for a Chicago law firm. Neil successfully handled all the contested matters in Chicago and gained a favorable reputation within the entire firm as an experienced agressive litigation attorney. Almost a year later that firm had an urgent need for a qualified attorney with Neil’s skills, positive attitude, and leadership qualities and relocated him back to South Florida.
Neil is currently partner at Shupe Dhawan and helps clients with immigration, insurance claims, and real estate litigation matters throughout South Florida. Neil is most comfortable in the courtroom and can be found spending 2-3 days a week arguing highly-complex matters in court. Neil has helped clients from all over the world.
Highlights of Neil’s legal career
- Handled over 1000 trials throughout the state of Florida.
- Assisted multiple immigration clients in obtaining green cards, family-based immigration petitions, which include marriage-based, fiancé(e), parents, children, and siblings visas and green cards; waivers to allow residency; business and investor visas and green cards; employment-based green cards and PERM; citizenship and naturalization.
- Handled thousands of contested hearings, mediations, depositions, evidentiary hearings, and various contested court hearings.
- Research, analyze, and interprets laws, rulings, statutes, ordinances, regulations, court decisions, legal opinions and provides authoritative legal advice to clients to ensure compliance.
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems, magna cum laude, Kennesaw State University (2006)
- J.D., Florida Coastal School of Law (2008)
- Florida Bar (2009)
- Florida Notary Public (2013)
- Florida Real Estate Sales Associate (2015)
- Illinois Bar (2011)
- Title Agent for Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida (2010)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida (2010)
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Broward County Bar Association, Immigration Section Member
- South Asian Bar Association of Florida
- South Florida American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Cancer Society Relay for Life
- Citizenship Day Attorney Volunteer
- Florida Breast Cancer Sponsor
- Habitat for Humanity
- Red Cross
- Triumph Crisis Recovery Center 5K
- Walk Now for Autism Speaks, Team Leader