In a surprising move by the White House, President Obama put an end to the “wet-foot/dry-foot” immigration policy utilized by Cuban Nationals for the last 20 years.  Effective immediately, Cuban immigrants who illegally enter the United States will be subject to removal (deportation) and treated the same way immigrants from other countries are treated.  The Cuban government has agreed to accept the return of Cuban nationals, much the same way other countries accept immigrants who are deported from the United States.

The wet-foot/dry-foot policy essentially permitted people who fled Cuba and made it to the shores of the United States (dry-land) to lawfully stay in the United States, and seek permanent residence (a green card) a year later.  This policy clearly applied to a single group of immigrants and granted preferential treatment.  Whereas, immigrants from other countries who illegally enter the United States are subject to removal (deportation).

Now, Cuban immigrants will have to utilize lawful means of obtaining visas and green cards for the United States.  The two most highly utilized immigration procedures to move to the United States are:

  1. Starting a business in the United States and obtaining a visa or green card; or
  2. Having a family member in the United States file a petition on your behalf.

The end of this policy does not affect immigrants already in the United States who utilized wet-foot/dry-foot policy.  These people may continue through the process and seek to obtain permanent residence status.

If you are already in the Country and have yet to receive a lawful benefit, it is best to speak to a Shupe Dhawan immigration attorney immediately.  We can help you with all your immigration needs from obtaining a visa or a green card to starting a business or becoming a United States Citizen.  Our team of experienced attorneys have over 20 years of experience and take great pride in the quality litigation and transactional representation we deliver.  You place your trust in us and we make sure that we go the extra mile to get you the best possible result!  Make an appointment for your legal consultation today.

Our Experienced Attorneys Can Also Help You With:

  • Get a Visa or Green Card for Your Spouse, Fiancé(e), Children, Parents, or Siblings
  • Get Sponsored by a Family Member
  • Get a Visa or Green Card Through Employment
  • Get a Visa or Green Card to Start or Buy a Business

We are happy to answer any questions and provide legal assistance.  Contact us at 954-507-7220.

Make sure to visit our website at to learn more about the firm and partners!

You can also find us on FacebookLinkedIn, and Twitter, or and you can follow our blog.

Estate Planning, Wills & Trusts • Immigration • Probate & Guardianship • Real Estate Closings & Title

Call Now Button